Since we have almost industrialized our planet. This maybe are only alternative if the future of our species is to survive. Thank you for this post Collective Evolution
- The Facts:Modern agriculture is not sustainable for our planet and is damaging our soil, depleting it of all its nutrients. We are needing more and more pesticides and chemical fertilizers to grow our crops. Aquponics is one much more sustainable option.
- Reflect On:If we have the means to grow an abundance of food for everyone that wouldn’t cause damage to the soil, or feed us unnecessary poisons, why wouldn’t we?
There is no doubt about it, a growing problem today with food shortages and inflated food prices across the globe exists. For a long time, the answer to these issues has been the implementation of genetically engineered crops, according to many mainstream scientists at least. Unfortunately, this method of farming is contaminating our soil and depleting it of its nutrients, which are essential for growing vitamin-rich foods. The vast amount of chemical pesticides that are sprayed on genetically modified crops make it next to impossible to grow anything else and especially without the use of these pesticides. Considering there are much more natural, and efficient ways of growing ample amounts of the food we need to survive, one might wonder why we haven’t begun to implement these technologies on a mass scale.
One of these solutions is a method of growing produce, known as aquaponics. One company, in particular, Vortex Aquaponics has made it their goal to grow an abundance of organic food and even produce clean fish, all without the use of pesticides or chemical fertilizers. Their objectives are:
- Efficiently grow plants with a systematic process that is conducive to the local area
- Produce non-contaminated mineral dense fruits, vegetables, and fish, with full lab tests
- Create a streamlined process to sell and distribute small to large aquaponics systems
- Offer complete aquaponics education programs to offer to the public and new customers
Is It Time For A Complete Overhaul On Our Current Food Production System?
Perhaps surprisingly a recent Consumer Reports survey showed that 84% of American consumers purchase organic food. This is great news, and it could signify the beginning of the end of genetically modified foods if organic food producers are able to keep up with the demand. Supply shortages are one of the greatest threats facing the industry today. Sales of organic food make up four percent of the total food sales while the amount of acreage devoted to organic agriculture is less than one percent of total U.S. land used for agriculture.
What Is Aquaponics?
According to Vortex Aquaponics,
“Aquaponics” the combination of Aquaculture (culture of fish) and Hydroponics (culture of plants without soil) integrated into a single agricultural system that works in many climates yielding an abundant amount of organic vegetation and edible fish.
Why choose Vortex Aquaponics?
- Up to 10 times more production in the same amount of space horizontally without the plants being overcrowded.
- Requires approximately 1/4 the labor of almost all other food production methods.
- Virtual elimination of weeds, pests, diseases, viruses and pathogens for both aquatic and plant life alike
- 100% free of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and other toxic chemicals
- No watering plants! The aquaponics system uses 98% less water than normal. Because the water is constantly re-circulating, and you do not lose any to soil absorption. The roots of your plants are constantly submerged in nutrient-rich water and you never have to worry about watering your plants again.
- Multiple Sources of Income: Selling the plants, finished products, raising fish, selling seeds, etc..
- Plants grow twice as fast. The plants are getting nutrients 24/7 and don’t have the stress of traditional soil grown plants.
- Uses up to 70% less Energy than traditional growing methods.
- Many useful by-products are created that can be used to produce other crops, fruit trees, soils, biofuels and renewable energy
How Does This Actually Work?
All of the materials that are used by aquaponics systems align with their eco-friendly vision and include
1. Vertical growing columns (Aquapot Vertical Towers): These are used for green leafy veggies and herbs
2. Media Beds: For vines and larger crops such as tomatoes, cucumbers, fruiting plants, and root vegetables
3. Fish Tanks: For raising the fish of your choice
4. Solids Collector: For keeping the system clean
5. De-Gasser: For putting oxygen back into the system
6. Water Pump: For pumping the water up to the top of the column and recirculating the water
7. Air Pump: Provides oxygen for the plants and the fish
8. Dome Greenhouse or hoop house
Vortex aquapnics also has an education system where they teach school children how the system works and why it is important for our future.
Is This Sounding Too Good To Be True?
These systems are already underway and being used to grow food. There are already 3 successful systems set up in Puerto Rico, China and Canada. The goal is to make these systems, widespread across the globe and supplement the demands for organic produce, while most likely over time wiping out other forms of agriculture that are not sustainable for our planet.
This goes that we do have the technology that is needed to ensure that no one goes hungry and we don’t have to be using the outdated and often destructive methods of industrial agriculture anymore. Times are changing and this system has the potential to transform the agricultural industry in a big way.